What do you do to pay those bills while pursuing your dreams of being a working actor?
- Nanny – If you love kids, finding a Nanny job can be a terrific way to make good money and have flexible hours for auditioning. Usually when taking care of kids you are responsible for picking them after school and caring for them at home (meals/homework) until their parents come back from their jobs.
- Personal Trainer – Another solid way of making decent money is becoming a personal trainer. This means working at a gym where you can take on your own clients and set a schedule that is flexible both for your client and yourself for daily and weekly workout routines.
- Freelance Writing – There are hundreds of writing gigs online that are asking for blog writers for various businesses. Even if you are not familiar with a specific product or company brand, a little but of time and research will come a long way in helping you write a strong article. In most cases, the more volume you produce, the better amount of money you will make as some writing gigs don’t pay as high.
- Graphic Design – Are you good at photoshop or other forms of graphic software. Put your skills to use by creating a wide range of graphic design for business cards, banner ads, 5 x 5 promotions and literally dozens of other possible scenarios that need graphical elements.
- Web Design/Programming – You don’t need to be an expert programmer these days in order to shape and design a really cool looking website for someone. This can prove a lucrative way for you to make money while pursuing acting and it is done on your own time.
- Internet Marketing – Social media is a great way for you to make money as a freelancer for companies that need extra help getting their businesses out there and are short staffed. You may want to do this part time as well.
- Extra Work – Acting as an extra can help pay the bills with the amount of work out there in both studio and indie projects these days. Be careful not to be know as an “extra actor” but it certainly can aid you in making extra money here and there when needed. May not be as solid as the other jobs mentioned on this list but some money is better than no money.
- Event Planner/Promoter – Why not promote for a club or lounge? We know we said this was an article regarding ‘Day Jobs’ but we still didn’t want to leave this one out because it can be one more way to help you make profit. If you are good at networking people and groups and leading them to a fun night, then promoting is for you and you can make really great money in this fashion. Event Planning for parties in general is beneficial as well for day or nighttime events.
- Print Work – There is another way to get in front of the camera and that is print work. You can model for an assortment of companies that may be interested in your specific look and you can make good money for a one day shoot in a matter of hours.
- Photography – If you think you have a good eye, why not assist or even start your own photography businesses on the side. You can charge reasonable rates and carve out a respectable living for yourself while pursuing acting. Again, this is a wonderful way to give you the control of scheduling out your time in order to make time for rehearsals and acting projects you book.
*Do you have any other suggestions that you would like to share that may help out your fellow actor?