What is a monologue?
From time to time Monologue Blogger gets asked what exactly a monologue definition should be in our own words and we’ve decided to help provide some monologue examples.
There are various types of monologues that exist. There are monologues from literature, monologue from movies, monologues from plays, original monologues, spoken word monologues, monologues from poetry and more.
In the theatre, a monologue (the Greeks monologue definition is, “speech or solitary”) and is usually expressed by a sole person or character in the play. Monologues from films, a character in the story will speak a monologue to someone directly or at times indirectly to themselves outloud. Monologues in literature take various shapes depending on the narrative structure the writer has chosen; it can be an inner monologue revealing the characters own private thoughts for example.
Below we are sharing some monologue examples for you to check out to help you better understand the context and usage of monologue material in different forms based on the medium.
Monologues from Plays:
- The Ghost Sonata by August Strindberg
- The Spanish Tragedy by Thomas Kyd
- Electra by Euripides
- Romeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare
- Phedre by Jean Racine
Monologue from Movies:
- Pulp Fiction – Gold Watch Monologue by Quentin Tarantino
- Erin Brockovich – Lame Ass Offer Monologue by Susannah Grant
- The Dark Knight – Always Smiling Monologue by Christopher Nolan & Jonathan Nolan
- Jaws – Indianapolis Speech by Peter Benchley & Carl Gottlieb
- Schindler’s List – Helen Hirsch Speech by Thomas Keneally & Steven Zaillian
- 15 Powerful Female Dramatic Monologues
- 1 Minute Monologues Comedy
- 18 Teen Monologues
- 5 Badass Female Monologues
- Monologues Casting Agents Won’t Ignore
- Top 10 Comedic Monologues for Men
Further information about the definition of a monologue can be found at the following links:
We are glad to share our selection of monologue examples so you can see the different variables involved with the form. Thanks for using Monologue Blogger!